Keeping yourself isolated from friends and family doesn’t mean you can’t keep in touch. Modern technology now means it’s simple to stay connected. Below we have outlined just some of the free and easy ways to stay connected.
Zoom us a free online video chat software which allows you to make meetings with others (restricted to 40mins per call unless you pay)
How to access:
- Go to zoom.us or if you have the application installed on your phone, tablet, laptop or PC go to that.
- Log in or register online, which even is applicable to you. Registering is free and easy to do.
- Once logged in, go to your account and set up a meeting.
- Once saved, share the meeting details with those who you need to attend.
Skype is a free application that can be used on a computer or mobile phone to make video calls.
1. For Skype, you will need to download the Skype application, create a free account, and login. You can download Skype easily from: https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/.
2. Once you’re logged in, you’ll need to add contacts. To find a contact, click on the magnifying glass at the top of your screen labelled either ‘People, groups & messages’ or ‘Search’.
3. Type in the name, Skype name or email address of the contact you want to add.
4. Select your friend or family member from the search results.
5. In the conversation window that opens up, type a message and select the Send button. They will automatically be added to your contact list.
6. To call them, select the contact you want to call in Contacts, and then click the audio or video button. If you want to make a group call, simply add another participant.
7. At the end of a call, select the end call button to hang up.
1. Apple iPhone users can video call each other via FaceTime.
2. To begin, tap on this app:
3. Press the + icon in the top right corner.
4. Type in the name of the contact you’d like to FaceTime with and select them from the list.
5. You’ll now be given an option to Audio call or Video call them. Tap whichever you’d prefer, and the call will begin.
WhatsApp video call
If you have WhatsApp, to video call anyone in your phone contacts all you need to do is:
- Open WhatsApp on your phone
- If you have a previous chat with the participant on WhatsApp, either go to their message or search for them.
- If you have no previous chat with the recipient, click the new chat icon in the top right-hand corner. Search for the recipient in your contacts
- Open the chat of the recipient and in the top right-hand corner is a video icon or phone icon. To have a video chat click the video icon or to phone click the phone icon.
Facebook video call
1. If you’re on Facebook, you can chat to your Facebook friends over a video call.
2. Login to Facebook and click the icon , or use the Facebook Messenger app on your phone:
3. Open a conversation with the person you want to chat with by either clicking on a previous chat, or selecting ‘New message’ on Facebook, or tapping the paper and pen icon in the top right corner of the Messenger app.
4. Click in the top right corner of the chat window.
How to sign up for our HealthUnlocked forum
Blood cancer patients can get support and advice from others in a similar situation on our HealthUnlocked forum.
2. Select ‘Join’ in the top right corner.
3. A window will appear, and you will have the option to join via Facebook or Google, if you have either of those accounts, or by creating a new HealthUnlocked account. If you select Facebook or Google, you will be guided through the process by logging in via your Facebook or Google account.
4. To create a HealthUnlocked account, type in your email address and then create a password. Click ‘Join with email’.
5. You will be redirected to a welcome page where you can browse and follow communities. From here, you can search for and join Leukaemia Care. To join, click the ‘join’ or ‘follow’ button.
6. On the Leukaemia Care forum, as linked above, you can read posts and reply to them with ease, as well as create your own posts by clicking ‘Write’