Stay connected! Share and follow:

Leukaemia CARE Careline

We're here to talk | 24-hours a day

08088 010 444

FREE from landlines & most major mobile networks

Help with paying the bills

If you are living in rented accommodation and your income falls, you may be able to claim housing benefit from the local authority to help continue paying your rent. Details of how to claim this will be available on your local council’s website.  For homeowners, a claim for council tax support may be necessary to the local council.

If you have a mortgage, you may be able to get financial help through the Support with Mortgage Interest scheme.  You will need to be getting a means-tested benefit, such as income related ESA or pension guarantee credit, to qualify for this.  If you receive the appropriate benefit, you can request the necessary application form from the Department of Work and Pensions. Support with mortgage interest is paid after 13 weeks receipt of a qualifying benefit and it is paid directly to the lender.

Published: Feb 2016

Next planned review: Feb 2018